Allure Man: 3 Hardcore Moisturizers Are Put To The Test
Winter is the season of cold weather and dry skin except when it’s the season of warm weather and dry skin. I know this because of the parched look of my face in the mirror these days, and the light dusting of dead skin all over my hands, which seem to be crying out, “We’re thirsty,” even though it looks like spring out.
We can fix all of this. But, first, why is it happening? In general, warm air does carry more moisture than cold air. But some of the staples of winter, like indoor heating, hot showers, and thicker clothing, we indulge in even when we don’t have to, and all of them can dehydrate you.
Fortunately, none of the above is a match for a good man-strength moisturizer. You may prefer the generally lighter and more fragrant formulas made for women, but a face cream from the men’s aisle may come in handy next time you’re stranded in Guyville or, in these days of warm winter dryness, want to pick up something to help out a boyfriend in need. Allure Man tested three popular options:
Jack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturizer
This light and odorless lotion immediately returned color and fullness to the dry skin of my face, but a slight sheen lingered on my nose and cheeks even after a concerted attempt to work it in.
Kiehl’s Facial Fuel Transformer
Not for the timid, this rich lotion with amino acids and vitamin B delivered a jolt to tired skin, but the tingle turned uncomfortable on the sensitive area around my eyes.
Malin+Goetz Vitamin E Face Moisturizer
My favorite. The light weight means this lotion absorbs fast, with no greasy residue. And the label says there’s no added fragrance, but the vaguely vegetal aroma was a plus.
- Don't Like Your Upper Arms? There's Now a Cream For That—And It's Selling out in the UK (09/10/2012)
- Little Mix team up with Clean & Clear (04/10/2012)
- How Many Of You Are Totally On Top Of This Skincare Trend And Didn't Even Know It? (03/10/2012)
- Kristen Stewart dishes on her skin care regime (28/09/2012)
- Philosophy's 2012 Christmas offerings (28/09/2012)
- Your Fall Skincare Guide (21/09/2012)
- How To Cure Your Puffy, Allergy-Besieged Face (20/09/2012)
- What to Do When You See Your First Wrinkle (First Step: Calm Down) (20/09/2012)
- How To Look More Wide-Awake Tomorrow Morning (05/09/2012)
- Keep Your Décolletage Wrinkle-Free... With This? (05/09/2012)
- How to Make Every Kind of Zit Disappear (29/08/2012)
- Will Sipping A Straw Make You Look Older? (28/08/2012)
- The Best Beauty Products You've Probably Never Heard Of (24/08/2012)
- Are You Walking Around With Dead Skin? (24/08/2012)
- The Best (And Cheapest) Thing You Can Do For Your Skin (24/08/2012)
- Three Secrets for Model-Perfect Skin (01/05/2012)
- 3 New Ways To Reboot Your Skin For Spring (01/05/2012)
- THe Combinations That Make Products Work Better (01/05/2012)
- Does Sleeping On Your Side Cause Wrinkles? (01/05/2012)
- How This Mask Single-handedly Saved My Skin This Winter (01/05/2012)
- Skip The Spa With This Skin Brightening Peel (01/05/2012)
- The 5 Serums We're Using To Fight Aging, Dryness, Dark Spots And All That Ails Us (01/05/2012)
- A Body Scrub For Chocolate Lovers (01/05/2012)
- Kate Somerville Dermal Quench Liquid Lift: Botox In A Bottle? (01/05/2012)
- How We Save Our Skin In The Winter: The 5 Best Moisturizing Body Washes (01/05/2012)
- 5 Winter Skin-Savers For Fighting The Elements (01/05/2012)
- 5 Face Scrubs To Re-energize Your Skin In The New Year (01/05/2012)
- Why This Will Be Your Next Favorite Body Cream (01/05/2012)
- The 6 Things You Need To Know To Keep Your 40-Something Skin Happy (01/05/2012)
- Yes, There's Now A Brazilian Facial (01/05/2012)