Does Sleeping On Your Side Cause Wrinkles?
News related: Wrinkles
In the world of beauty, it's ever-so-easy for fiction to become fact. These so-called "secrets" are passed down among generations, traded at beauty shops, touted on the pages of women's magazines ... but are they true? Of course we've all heard that drinking eight glasses of water will hydrate your skin, but according to whom? And then there's the old tale that getting regular haircuts will actually make it grow faster. Or that washing your hair less makes it more healthy. In our new column Beauty Myths? we've enlisted the help of pros to help demystify and debunk some of the more popular advice out there.
This week, we're pulling apart the thinking that the way you sleep can exacerbate wrinkles. New York dermatologist Debra Jaliman, author of "Skin Rules," breaks it down for us.
This all started a few months back when I was getting a facial. I asked the aesthetician why the fine lines around my eyes seemed to be more noticeable on the right side of my face. "Do you sleep on your side?" she asked. "Yes," I responded. I've been faithfully sleeping on my right side my entire life. "Well, that's why," she pointed out. Dr. Jaliman concurs: "The way you sleep does affect wrinkles -- that's why some lines are called sleep lines. If you crunch your face against a pillow you can get them."
"It's best to sleep on your back, although most people find this difficult," says Jaliman. Indeed. Every attempt I've made to become a back-sleeper usually ends back at square one, i.e., comfortably on my right side. "One way to do this is to put a U-shaped bucky pillow around your neck and to prop yourself with other pillows all around you so you don't turn in your sleep," advises Jaliman.
If sleeping on your back is absolutely impossible, don't worry, all is not lost. "A few tricks to avoid sleep lines is to get satin pillowcases as opposed to the usual cotton pillowcases. The face slides against the satin pillowcase so that it doesn't crunch against it, and no sleep lines are formed. Beauty sleep pillows are also an option, they are made with a special foam and have a unique shape which helps alleviate pressure on the face."
Have a beauty myth you'd like to us to investigate? We want to hear them -- leave your suggestions in the comments.
Want more? Be sure to check out Stylelist on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest.
10 Common Nutrition And Beauty Myths -- Busted 5 Greenwashed Myths of the Beauty Industry
10 Common Nutrition And Beauty Myths -- Busted
By Jessica Anderson for YouBeauty.com Can America â€œeat pretty?â€ Our barrier series identifies and breaks down the obstacles that are keeping you from eating for...
5 Greenwashed Myths of the Beauty Industry
With environmental awareness on the ascent--thank you Goracle and friends--natural and organic beauty products have exploded onto the scene with such force that even drugstore...
- Don't Like Your Upper Arms? There's Now a Cream For That—And It's Selling out in the UK (09/10/2012)
- Little Mix team up with Clean & Clear (04/10/2012)
- How Many Of You Are Totally On Top Of This Skincare Trend And Didn't Even Know It? (03/10/2012)
- Kristen Stewart dishes on her skin care regime (28/09/2012)
- Philosophy's 2012 Christmas offerings (28/09/2012)
- Your Fall Skincare Guide (21/09/2012)
- How To Cure Your Puffy, Allergy-Besieged Face (20/09/2012)
- What to Do When You See Your First Wrinkle (First Step: Calm Down) (20/09/2012)
- How To Look More Wide-Awake Tomorrow Morning (05/09/2012)
- Keep Your Décolletage Wrinkle-Free... With This? (05/09/2012)
- How to Make Every Kind of Zit Disappear (29/08/2012)
- Will Sipping A Straw Make You Look Older? (28/08/2012)
- The Best Beauty Products You've Probably Never Heard Of (24/08/2012)
- Are You Walking Around With Dead Skin? (24/08/2012)
- The Best (And Cheapest) Thing You Can Do For Your Skin (24/08/2012)
- How This Mask Single-handedly Saved My Skin This Winter (01/05/2012)
- Skip The Spa With This Skin Brightening Peel (01/05/2012)
- The 5 Serums We're Using To Fight Aging, Dryness, Dark Spots And All That Ails Us (01/05/2012)
- A Body Scrub For Chocolate Lovers (01/05/2012)
- Kate Somerville Dermal Quench Liquid Lift: Botox In A Bottle? (01/05/2012)
- How We Save Our Skin In The Winter: The 5 Best Moisturizing Body Washes (01/05/2012)
- 5 Winter Skin-Savers For Fighting The Elements (01/05/2012)
- 5 Face Scrubs To Re-energize Your Skin In The New Year (01/05/2012)
- Why This Will Be Your Next Favorite Body Cream (01/05/2012)
- The 6 Things You Need To Know To Keep Your 40-Something Skin Happy (01/05/2012)
- Yes, There's Now A Brazilian Facial (01/05/2012)
- How To Get Clear Skin With Somme Institute Skincare (01/05/2012)
- Three Affordable Ways To Perfect Skin (01/05/2012)
- Easy Facial Masks at Home (01/05/2012)
- Product Review | Boscia Black Mask (01/05/2012)