How To Get Sexy Summer Legs
News related: legs
Who Doesn't Want Legs Like J. Lo?
Beach season isn't quite here yet, but leg season is in full bloom. I don't know about you, but my legs are always a little shy to come out of the shadows this time of year. When I shed my pants and opt for shorts, I'm always shocked to see my legs are pale, dry and nowhere ready to be put on display. But here we have rounded up all you need to get your legs looking like J. Lo's for the unofficial start to summer.
Photo: Â© Christopher Polk/Getty Images
Lather Up & Shave
With pants heading to the back of the closet, it's time to take your razor out of hibernation. A great choice is Gillette Venus & Olay Razor (, Walmart.com) that moisturizes like an Olay soap bar while the razor has five blades for a close shave. And to keep your razors lasting longer than ever, try ECO-ARMOUR Shave With Benefits (, eco-armour.com). This shave foam and body wash-in-one keeps razors sharper two to three times longer than their usual lifespan.
Photo: Getty Images
Dry skin accumulates in the winter months so exfoliation is essential. Our favorite is Dr. Brandt Microdermabrasion (, drbrandtskincare.com). To use, brush dry skin off your legs with a loofah. While showering, apply the exfoliator to the loofah and scrub your body in a circular motion. Rinse with lukewarm water and follow with cold. Apply shower gel to soften skin.
Photo: Courtesy of Dr. Brandt
Exfoliating dries the skin so make sure to moisturize after. We love Herbacin's Leg Lotion, (.99, drugstore.com) that not only moisturizes dry skin, but also improves circulation and sooths stressed, tired legs.
Photo: Courtesy of Herbacin
If exercise doesn't eliminate those cellulite marks, opt for a quick cure like Nip + Fab Cellulite Fix Body Sculpting Gel (.95, target.com) that melts into your skin to reduce the appearance of cellulite as well as burn fat cells and improve circulation. Apply on skin in upward strokes two times a day for best results.
Photo: Courtesy of Nip + Fab
No matter how toned your legs are, a little tan always makes them look so much more. And if you skimped on your winter workouts, a self-tanner is even more necessary. Hide cellulite, scars and red patchy skin with a lotion like Red Carpet Kolour Body Glow (.95, redcarpetkolour.com) or an at-home spray tan like St. Tropez Perfect Legs Spray (, sttropeztan.com). Both provide a natural color that blends easily. However, keep in mind that most self-tanners do not provide SPF so dab on some sunscreen before you head out the door.
Photo: Courtesy of St. Tropez
Get Rid Of Ashy Knees
Dark skin on your knees, known as ashy knees, is caused by dead skin cells on the skin that accumulate from irregular cleaning or frequent rubbing. To remove, mix 1 tsp each of Vitamin E, lemon juice and glycerin with 4 tbsp of milk. Massage the paste on the dark area and let sit for 15 minutes. Wash off with warm water. To prevent future dark skin, keep your knees moisturized with Vaseline Intensive Care Cocoa Butter Deep Conditioning Body Lotion (.79, drugstore.com).
Photo: Courtesy of Vaseline
Sculpt With Quick Exercises
Nothing will get you sexy legs quite like a rejuvenated exercise regimen. To get toned calves, stand up straight while holding onto the wall for balance. Position your feet hip-width apart and raise your heels so that you are on your tippy toes. Balance your body weight on the balls of your feet and hold for a minute. Do 3 sets of 15 to 20 reps. To get strong glutes, stand straight and position your feet hip-width apart. Lower your body into a squat, making sure that the hip joint is closer to the ground than the knee joint. Do 3 sets of 10 to 15 reps.
Photo: Getty Images
Tags: Jennifer Lopez, legs
- Don't Like Your Upper Arms? There's Now a Cream For That—And It's Selling out in the UK (09/10/2012)
- Little Mix team up with Clean & Clear (04/10/2012)
- How Many Of You Are Totally On Top Of This Skincare Trend And Didn't Even Know It? (03/10/2012)
- Kristen Stewart dishes on her skin care regime (28/09/2012)
- Philosophy's 2012 Christmas offerings (28/09/2012)
- Your Fall Skincare Guide (21/09/2012)
- How To Cure Your Puffy, Allergy-Besieged Face (20/09/2012)
- What to Do When You See Your First Wrinkle (First Step: Calm Down) (20/09/2012)
- How To Look More Wide-Awake Tomorrow Morning (05/09/2012)
- Keep Your Décolletage Wrinkle-Free... With This? (05/09/2012)
- How to Make Every Kind of Zit Disappear (29/08/2012)
- Will Sipping A Straw Make You Look Older? (28/08/2012)
- The Best Beauty Products You've Probably Never Heard Of (24/08/2012)
- Are You Walking Around With Dead Skin? (24/08/2012)
- The Best (And Cheapest) Thing You Can Do For Your Skin (24/08/2012)
- Cooking with philosophy: Frosted Cookie shower gel (15/05/2012)
- The Big Skincare Mistake You Might Be Making Every Day (14/05/2012)
- Food that makes you beautiful: what to eat to have healthy skin, hair and nails (11/05/2012)
- Shiseido 360 Sunshine Suncare Summer 2012 Collection (11/05/2012)
- Mother's Day Gifts That Will Arrive Just In Time (10/05/2012)
- The New Face Of Chanel No. 5 Is... (10/05/2012)
- Could Your Spray Tan Kill You? (09/05/2012)
- The Cancer You Know Almost Nothing About (09/05/2012)
- The Best Face Scrubs For Your Skin Type (08/05/2012)
- When Applying Your SPF, Are You Missing This Super Important Area? (03/05/2012)
- Getting To The Root Of Adult Acne (02/05/2012)
- Today in Crazy News: This Woman Is Accused of Taking Her 5-Year-Old to a Tanning Bed. Also, Did You Know It Was Even Possible To Be THIS Tan? (Seriously, You HAVE To See This!) (02/05/2012)
- Teenager Starts Petition Against Magazine Photoshopping (02/05/2012)
- Smell Like Royalty With New Perfumes (02/05/2012)
- Your Left Side Is More Photogenic (02/05/2012)