Oscar-Night Glamour: A Retrospective
We always hear a quajillion references to "old Hollywood glamour" when discussing how modern-day celebrities look at the Academy Awards. The truth is, vintage Oscar beauty was far from one-size-fits-all--just look at these memorable hair/makeup moments from Tinseltown's past.
Barbara Streisand at the Governor's Ball in 1969. Major smoky eyes, and what a bump!
Natalie Wood in 1968...clearly not afraid of faux lashes. Or gift-wrap-esque hair bows.
Sophia Loren, queen of thick, dramatic liquid eyeliner, puffing away during the 1963 Academy Awards.
Audrey Hepburn with bettie bangs in 1954. Check out those huuuge drawn-on, squared-off brows. She'd top the "don't" lists for those today!
Grace Kelly in 1954, with orange-red lipstick and yellow roses tucked in her hair.
Betty Grable painted on a heart-shaped red pout in 1942.
Ginger Rogers went for a poufy, flower-adorned half-up 'do in 1941.
Here's a question to ponder this afternoon: Who among today's glamorous Hollywood creatures do you think people will still be talking about decades from now? Which stars do you think will prove forgettable over time, and why? Be sure to stop by the blog Sunday night, since Beth will be covering Oscar night's beauty statements in real time.
Feeling like trying a retro-inspired look? Check out our slideshow on how to update vintage fashion trends.
Photos: Getty Images
- Lena Dunham Stands Up for Non-stick Thighs Everywhere (09/10/2012)
- Rihanna gets Nude for her new perfume (09/10/2012)
- Would You Get A Fish Pedicure? Mena Suvari Gets Her Toes Done At Topshop (08/10/2012)
- Katy Perry gets patriotic with Barack Obama nail art (08/10/2012)
- Is It Rude to Call Someone Full-Figured? (08/10/2012)
- Britney Spears stars in Fantasy Twist advert, looks awesome (08/10/2012)
- How to Use Body Language to Your Advantage (05/10/2012)
- Amanda Seyfried Makes Purple Lips Look Good And a "Beauty Broker" Profile Gets Ugly in Alluring Links (05/10/2012)
- Allure Man Conquers Gray Hair—Down There (05/10/2012)
- Amanda Seyfried's Dark Purple Lipstick: Is it a Do or Don't? (04/10/2012)
- Victoria Beckham hearts Anthropologie Royal Apothic Hand Cream (04/10/2012)
- 3 Glam Hairstyles on Nina Dobrev (Which One is Your Fave?) (04/10/2012)
- Are You a Pathological Groomer? (04/10/2012)
- Kristin Cavallari Reveals Her Post-Baby Beauty Secrets (03/10/2012)
- Ke$ha's Back! Let's Get Dirty. (03/10/2012)
- Something To Keep In Mind When Using A Washcloth On Your Face (18/05/2012)
- Video: Watch Rascal Flatts Get Beautified (With Laser Hair Growing Helmets!) on The Ellen Show (18/05/2012)
- 9 Easy Ways To Get Super Soft Feet Just In Time For Summer (18/05/2012)
- Poll: What Regular Household Items Do You Use For Beauty's Sake? (18/05/2012)
- Makeup Trick to Try: Mix Oil With Your Foundation For a Flawless Finish (18/05/2012)
- How to Get Major Glamazon Curls Like Gwen Stefani and Rihanna (18/05/2012)
- Burberry Expands Their Foundation Range For Women of Color (18/05/2012)
- Want to Be My New Best Friend? Vote For Us in the Webby Awards! We've Been Nominated!!! (18/05/2012)
- Beauty Trick: Here's How to Kick Cellulite to The Curb (18/05/2012)
- 5 Fun Hunger-Games-Inspired Beauty Products Found on Etsy (18/05/2012)
- Forget Your Boobs—Apparently, It's All About Chins Right Now (18/05/2012)
- 5 Items to Always Have in Your Carry-On—A Lesson Learned The Hard Way (18/05/2012)
- The Time Has Come For Me To Say Farewell (But Here's Why You Won't Miss Me TOO Much) (18/05/2012)
- Would You Wear A Red Wedding Dress? (18/05/2012)
- Kim Kardashian For Mayor?! (18/05/2012)