Poll: What's Your Favorite Beauty-Related Quote?
I like to think of myself as the Queen of adage, idioms, mantras, and quotes. (Seriously, it's evolved into my own personal little sublanguage.) My all-time favorite comes from the ever-marvelous Marilyn Monroe, who once said “Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.” In my opinion, these are wonderfully wise words to live by, as I've found them to be incredibly useful over the years.
I'm by no means perfect, nor do I try to be. But there are moments when I step in a room and immediately I feel... different. And for a second it bothers me, until I realize that different is A-OK. I may not be sample size, I may have 14 tattoos, and I may shave the right side of my head every three days, but it's my look and I love it. And guess what? I'm still beautiful, because 'Imperfection is beauty...'
Anyway, here are a few more of my favorite beauty-related quotes:
1) “Beauty is finding the right fit, the natural fit. To be perfect, you have to feel perfect about yourself. Avoid trying to be someone you're not.” Rick Riordan
This one helps me remember that it's A-OK to keep up with trends and want to try new looks that I've seen on celebrities or on the runway, but at the end of the day, I'll only feel beautiful wearing exactly what works for me.
2) “Beauty, to me, is about being comfortable in your own skin. That, or a kick-ass red lipstick.” Gwyneth Paltrow
I wholeheartedly agree Gwynnie I believe in being proud of who you are, as well as the almighty power of red lipstick; it's the ultimate head-turner. Whenever I'm questioning my outfit, I swipe MAC's Ruby Woo (.50) across my pout and instantly I feel sexier.
3) "There is no exquisite beauty without some strangeness in the proportion." Edgar Allan Poe
This one reminds me that just because something isn't what the majority society would stereotypically deem picture-perfect like a larger nose or a crooked tooth or a mullet haircut or even acne doesn't mean it isn't beautiful.
You can find plenty more beauty-related quotes here, but before you click away, tell me whose words of winsome wisdom inspire you and why? (Bonus points if they come from your mum or nan!)
Tags: Marilyn Monroe, beauty quotes
- Super Hairy Armpits: OK or Offensive? (08/05/2012)
- Have You Heard? Beyonce Does Her Own Makeup and Trims Her Hair Herself! (07/05/2012)
- Poll: Would You Dare Wear Hair Rollers in Public? (24/04/2012)
- Conan O'Brien's Cameraman Tries a Revolutionary New Tattoo Removal System... Kind of (22/04/2012)
- When Shopping for Beauty Products, Do You Super-Size It? (22/04/2012)
- Easter Eggs So Cool You'll Want To Make Easter Eggs This Year--Using Beauty Supplies! (Plus: Peeps Nail Polish--It Exists!) (22/04/2012)
- What Kind of Funny Face Do You Make When You Put On Makeup? (22/04/2012)
- Poll: How Important Are Product Reviews to You? (22/04/2012)
- Could You Go 30 Days Without Washing Your Face? I Think I'm Going to Try! (22/04/2012)
- Would You Go Blonde Just Because Your Favorite Celebrity Has? (22/04/2012)
- Beauty Poll: As a Woman, What's The Sexiest Thing About Other Women to You? (22/04/2012)
- Poll: If You Dye Your Hair Platinum Blonde, Should You Dye Your Brows Too? (22/04/2012)
- Fill In The Beauty Blanks: I HATE It When My ____ Uses My ____! (22/04/2012)
- Fill in The Beauty Blanks: I Wouldn't Pay More Than ____ For My ____! (22/04/2012)
- Poll: Who Would You Like To See Collaborate With MAC? (22/04/2012)