Shocking Photo: Time to Get Out The SPF!
Photo: New England Journal of Medicine
Our friends at YouBeauty discovered this super shocking photograph of a man who experienced the lethal effects of UV rays. Here, they unleash a totally compelling story of aging gone wrong.
Dermatologists, beauty editors and moms everywhere can tell you to wear sunscreen until they turn, well, red in the face. It's up to you to make the real effort.
But in much the same way those gruesome anti-smoking campaigns can persuade you to ditch the Marlboros for good, this extreme example of what the sun's rays are truly capable of might inspire even the most negligent of sun worshippers to don SPF 1000 immediately.
MORE: Not All Sunscreens Are Created Equal
Behold, the unfortunate case of a 69-year-old truck driver who spent the better part of 30 years on the big rig. As anyone who's ever gotten a gnarly sunburn on one arm can attest, the left side of our body--the one exposed to the sun when driving--is particularly vulnerable to UV rays. Still, we can only imagine Northwestern University researchers Joaquin C. Brieva and Jennifer R.S. Gordon were beyond amazed to stumble upon this particular truck driver as a prime human specimen that exemplifies just how damaging these rays can be.
Due to his vocation, the subject experienced what the researchers--whose observations were recently published in The New England Journal of Medicine--noted was a case of unilateral dermatoheliosis. This syndrome, associated with photo-damaged skin, is what can happen when chronic UVA exposure results in the "thickening of the epidermis and stratum corneum, as well as destruction of elastin fibers."
Best Sunscreens This Season
In this case, we can clearly see the contrast in exposure levels, not to mention the dramatically different results. How mind-blowing is this picture?
"For a dermatologist, this image is like the best Christmas present ever!" says Dr. Jeanine Downie, M.D., YouBeauty Dermatology Expert. "This proves what we've been saying for years. People need to understand that UVA rays penetrate through window glass, and they need to apply broad spectrum protection of at least SPF 30 every day and reapply every two hours."
In the end, the researchers noted, "The use of sun protection, topical retinoids and periodic monitoring for skin cancer were recommended for the patient." We'd also recommend that to anyone, any age, any time. QUIZ: Check to See Just How Healthy Your Skin Is
With that lesson in mind, we now conclude this after-school special report on the dangers of sun exposure. Enjoy the summer safely!
- Don't Like Your Upper Arms? There's Now a Cream For That—And It's Selling out in the UK (09/10/2012)
- Little Mix team up with Clean & Clear (04/10/2012)
- How Many Of You Are Totally On Top Of This Skincare Trend And Didn't Even Know It? (03/10/2012)
- Kristen Stewart dishes on her skin care regime (28/09/2012)
- Philosophy's 2012 Christmas offerings (28/09/2012)
- Your Fall Skincare Guide (21/09/2012)
- How To Cure Your Puffy, Allergy-Besieged Face (20/09/2012)
- What to Do When You See Your First Wrinkle (First Step: Calm Down) (20/09/2012)
- How To Look More Wide-Awake Tomorrow Morning (05/09/2012)
- Keep Your Décolletage Wrinkle-Free... With This? (05/09/2012)
- How to Make Every Kind of Zit Disappear (29/08/2012)
- Will Sipping A Straw Make You Look Older? (28/08/2012)
- The Best Beauty Products You've Probably Never Heard Of (24/08/2012)
- Are You Walking Around With Dead Skin? (24/08/2012)
- The Best (And Cheapest) Thing You Can Do For Your Skin (24/08/2012)
- Best Sunscreens This Season (05/06/2012)
- Halle Berry Shares Her Beauty Secrets with Stylelist (05/06/2012)
- Get The Look: Naomi Watts' Glowing Skin (01/06/2012)
- Poll: What's Really Holding You Back From Seeing a Dermatologist? (31/05/2012)
- Confession: I Suffer From Celebrity Skin Envy. Do You? (31/05/2012)
- Could This Sling Actually Replace The 00 Facelift? (30/05/2012)
- Editors' Summer Favorites (29/05/2012)
- Celebrate the Jubilee with a free Royal Hand Treatment at Clarins (29/05/2012)
- The Weekly Gloss-Over: All About Winners (25/05/2012)
- Happy "Don't Fry Friday"! (25/05/2012)
- Quick Beauty Moves That'll Make You Feel More Confident in a Bikini (Or Just Plain Naked!) This Weekend (25/05/2012)
- What to Expect When You're Getting a Skin-Cancer Screening (24/05/2012)
- Got Bangs? 3 Ways to Avoid Unwanted Forehead Acne (24/05/2012)
- The Surprisingly Easy Way to Banish Dry Spots on the Spot (24/05/2012)
- Want Perfect Skin This Summer? Make Sure You're Doing These 3 Things (24/05/2012)