Sleep Your Way to Better Skin
News related: sleep
Writing about beauty products means you get some weird stuff to try. Example: a few weeks ago, I received a pillowcase, something called SkinGlow, infused with minuscule copper fibers that supposedly improve skin.
It seemed so far-fetched, that I gave it a shot.
The company says that while you sleep, your body's moisture activates the copper ions, which help reduce the appearance of fine lines and other skin issues. I called New York City-based dermatologist Yael Halaas to see if this was all a bunch of hooey. Here's what she thinks.
"Copper is naturally antibacterial, so it can definitely help with acne," she says. "It'll help breakouts appear less red." Well, in my own experience, after using this thing for a month, the oh-so-lovely breakouts on my chin have nearly disappeared (although I've also been using a topical antibiotic that my derm prescribed for me, so it's hard to tell which is responsible).
Halaas says that the idea of sticking copper fibers in fabric makes sense, unlike other dubious examples. (Remember those cellulite-busting leggings and moisturizing tights?) "Since copper is a metal, it won't break down, unlike other ingredients which have an expiration date," she says. (As long as you don't use fabric softener, the effects of the bedding won't be diminished even after washing.)
Bottom line? I figure I use a pillowcase every night anyway, so it certainly can't hurt to try this one. It's soft, too, in case you were wondering.
--Jill Schuck Taylor
Tags: SkinGlow, Yael Halaas, acne, copper, dermatologist, new beauty products, pillowcase, skin, sleep
- Don't Like Your Upper Arms? There's Now a Cream For That—And It's Selling out in the UK (09/10/2012)
- Little Mix team up with Clean & Clear (04/10/2012)
- How Many Of You Are Totally On Top Of This Skincare Trend And Didn't Even Know It? (03/10/2012)
- Kristen Stewart dishes on her skin care regime (28/09/2012)
- Philosophy's 2012 Christmas offerings (28/09/2012)
- Your Fall Skincare Guide (21/09/2012)
- How To Cure Your Puffy, Allergy-Besieged Face (20/09/2012)
- What to Do When You See Your First Wrinkle (First Step: Calm Down) (20/09/2012)
- How To Look More Wide-Awake Tomorrow Morning (05/09/2012)
- Keep Your Décolletage Wrinkle-Free... With This? (05/09/2012)
- How to Make Every Kind of Zit Disappear (29/08/2012)
- Will Sipping A Straw Make You Look Older? (28/08/2012)
- The Best Beauty Products You've Probably Never Heard Of (24/08/2012)
- Are You Walking Around With Dead Skin? (24/08/2012)
- The Best (And Cheapest) Thing You Can Do For Your Skin (24/08/2012)
- Awesome Redness-Reducing Products (18/04/2012)
- Five Reasons to Prime (18/04/2012)
- Fergie's Pre-Wedding Skin Secrets (18/04/2012)
- How to Heal Dry, Winter-Ravaged Hands (18/04/2012)
- Can You Erase Your Freckles? (18/04/2012)
- The Top 5 Ways to Prevent a Skin Hangover (18/04/2012)
- My Favorite Moisturizing Masks (18/04/2012)
- Got Dark Undereye Circles? Read This. (18/04/2012)
- Bye, Bye Dry Skin (18/04/2012)
- The New Bond Girl Has Legs (18/04/2012)
- Zit Zapping Tips (18/04/2012)
- Five Fantastic Exfoliators (18/04/2012)
- Jennifer Garner: Bad Girl? (18/04/2012)
- Blogger Round-Up: Best In Skincare (18/04/2012)
- Priori Coffeeberry Revitalizing Cleanser (18/04/2012)