The 4 Shoes Most Likely To Cause Blisters
News related: Blisters
For the past four months, I've been teetering in denial over the blister turned callus on my right sole. That is, until I am forced to confront it while getting a pedicure. And even though my nail tech begrudgingly files it down to smooth skin, like thousands of other women, I slip right back into high heels and strappy sandals that brings the blister back. Beauty is pain, right?
In the slideshow below, New York City-based podiatrist Dr. Dennis Shavelson explains how four different shoe styles may cause or worsen blisters. Plus, his advice on how to treat and prevent the painful foot sores.
Meanwhile, find out which shoe is messing up your at-home pedicure.
Want more? Be sure to check out Stylelist on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr and Pinterest.
- Tough Toe Box
The harder the toe box material, the more pressure there will be against your open toes. Metal, plastic and stiff synthetics are worse than softer leathers and synthetics.
- Ill-Fitting Shoes
Sandals or heels that are too large will piston feet forward and cause blisters. Shoe divas can benefit from a shoe insert and that would ususally start with professional foot typing by a podiatrist.
- Peep-Toe Shoes
Many people have a foot type that spreads longer, wider and flatter when they bear weight. Peep-toe shoes can be made more comfortable by taping the three to four toes together that are hidden in the shoe to give more room.
- Sky-High Heels
Higher heel can also cause blisters. A small adhesive foam pad placed closer to the heel of the foot behind any blister will help distribute weight-bearing pain until it heals.
- And Now What To Do About It
<a href="http://" target="_hplink">Properly fit shoes and the use of socks</a> and stockings are the best preventive. Apply a thin layer of Vasoline on your feet if you know you will be doing extra heavy activity. Small blisters can be popped or left to heal naturally. Large blisters are better off popped and medicated. Any blister that gets red, swollen, sore, has pus or takes long to heal should be checked professionally.
Dr. Steve Rosenberg Dr. Steve Rosenberg: Can Lack of Arch Support in Sandals and Flip Flops Cause Foot and Leg Problems?
Can Lack of Arch Support in Sandals and Flip Flops Cause Foot and Leg Problems?
Sandals and flip flops are worn by thousands daily; wearing ones that are cute, stylish and supportive will allow you to walk happily ever after in style and pain-free.
- Lena Dunham Stands Up for Non-stick Thighs Everywhere (09/10/2012)
- Rihanna gets Nude for her new perfume (09/10/2012)
- Would You Get A Fish Pedicure? Mena Suvari Gets Her Toes Done At Topshop (08/10/2012)
- Katy Perry gets patriotic with Barack Obama nail art (08/10/2012)
- Is It Rude to Call Someone Full-Figured? (08/10/2012)
- Britney Spears stars in Fantasy Twist advert, looks awesome (08/10/2012)
- How to Use Body Language to Your Advantage (05/10/2012)
- Amanda Seyfried Makes Purple Lips Look Good And a "Beauty Broker" Profile Gets Ugly in Alluring Links (05/10/2012)
- Allure Man Conquers Gray Hair—Down There (05/10/2012)
- Amanda Seyfried's Dark Purple Lipstick: Is it a Do or Don't? (04/10/2012)
- Victoria Beckham hearts Anthropologie Royal Apothic Hand Cream (04/10/2012)
- 3 Glam Hairstyles on Nina Dobrev (Which One is Your Fave?) (04/10/2012)
- Are You a Pathological Groomer? (04/10/2012)
- Kristin Cavallari Reveals Her Post-Baby Beauty Secrets (03/10/2012)
- Ke$ha's Back! Let's Get Dirty. (03/10/2012)
- Cassie Doesn't Have "The Skrillex," Skrillex has "The Cassie" in Alluring Links (15/06/2012)
- Jessica Alba's Quirky Color Combo (15/06/2012)
- When Bad Tan Lines Happen To Famous People (15/06/2012)
- Anne Hathaway and Charlize Theron shave their hair off (15/06/2012)
- Makeup Bag Snooping Session: See What Birchbox Co-Founder Katia Beauchamp Stashes In Her Purse (14/06/2012)
- Allure Man: Father's Day Gifts (Before It's Too Late) (14/06/2012)
- Would You Wear Shorts & Heels Together? (14/06/2012)
- Nina Simone Piles On The Silver (14/06/2012)
- Atlanta De Cadenet Makes Polka Dots Pop (14/06/2012)
- Lady Gaga reveals Fame perfume bottle and scent! (14/06/2012)
- This TV Producer Shares Her Controversial Acne-Fighting Trick (13/06/2012)
- Spray Tanning Scare: I'm Canceling My Appointment...Are You? (13/06/2012)
- View From the Beauty Closet: Revlon's New Collection (13/06/2012)
- A Father's Day Tribute: What My Dad Taught Me About Beauty (13/06/2012)
- WATCH: These Olympic Swimmers Repair Their Hair..With A Cheesecake Ingredient? (13/06/2012)