Two Ways To Get Better Skin ... In Bed
News related: skin
We've discussed how getting more shuteye can seriously shut down the breakout cycle. However, I recently realized I was doing two things right before bed that were sabotaging my skincare routine. Are you guilty of these skin sins, too?
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my pimple situation to keep.
My two mistakes ...
1) Applying lip balm right before bed.
I always have a tube or five in my nightstand, since moisturizing my lips before bed seems like a good way to help treat my perma-chappiness. Problem is, a dermatologist just pointed out to me that the rich, squeeze-tube or in-a-pot formulas I use pre-bed, like Aquaphor, tend to migrate down onto the chin and other pimple-susceptible patches of skin, leading to flare-ups. Um, duh. Now I use a tube lip balm, like my beloved Burt's Bees, and apply very sparingly. Likewise, it's best to avoid sticky lip glosses even during the day if your chin's extremely breakout prone; the stuff has a sneaky way of traveling beyond the borders of your lips.
2.) Washing and drying my hair right before bed.
There's nothing better than slipping all clean into the sheets at night, but here's something I hadn't thought about: My freshly washed hair is always coated in not only conditioner residue but leave-in conditioner, a greasy defrizzer and some sort of styling product. All that crap immediately rubs all over my pillowcase, and thus gets onto my face during the night. Sometimes, I even sleep on my stomach with my face pressed right into the pillow (I know, not the best for wrinkles, but so cozy). I might as well just shove my face into a vat of oil. Ok, so that's a little extreme--but seriously. From now on, I am washing my hair only during daytime showers, so I can put it in a bun at bedtime without it coming out all wonky.
Are you guys guilty of these bedtime skin sins? What is your pre-sleep beauty routine like?
More pimple posts:
* Do you rely on birth-control pills to keep your skin clear?
* Here's what it's like to get an emergency zit-zapping shot from a derm.
* My reviews of the Zeno and the Clarisonic brush.
* Facials: You likey? You get them?
More Cool Ways to Get Glamour.com Wherever You Go!
Add glamour.com to your Google homepage, or follow The Girls in the Beauty Department on Twitter.
Photo: Getty Images
- Don't Like Your Upper Arms? There's Now a Cream For That—And It's Selling out in the UK (09/10/2012)
- Little Mix team up with Clean & Clear (04/10/2012)
- How Many Of You Are Totally On Top Of This Skincare Trend And Didn't Even Know It? (03/10/2012)
- Kristen Stewart dishes on her skin care regime (28/09/2012)
- Philosophy's 2012 Christmas offerings (28/09/2012)
- Your Fall Skincare Guide (21/09/2012)
- How To Cure Your Puffy, Allergy-Besieged Face (20/09/2012)
- What to Do When You See Your First Wrinkle (First Step: Calm Down) (20/09/2012)
- How To Look More Wide-Awake Tomorrow Morning (05/09/2012)
- Keep Your Décolletage Wrinkle-Free... With This? (05/09/2012)
- How to Make Every Kind of Zit Disappear (29/08/2012)
- Will Sipping A Straw Make You Look Older? (28/08/2012)
- The Best Beauty Products You've Probably Never Heard Of (24/08/2012)
- Are You Walking Around With Dead Skin? (24/08/2012)
- The Best (And Cheapest) Thing You Can Do For Your Skin (24/08/2012)
- A Little Trick to Getting Smooth ‘Pits (27/04/2012)
- Sunscreens That Don't Clog Pores: More Rare Than Unicorns? (27/04/2012)
- Do You Rely On Birth Control Pills To Keep Your Skin Clear? (27/04/2012)
- Tell Me: What's Your Fave Moisturizer? (27/04/2012)
- Reader Update: Check Out the Dewy Skin Tips That Worked for Kristin! (27/04/2012)
- Got Face Cream That Isn't Working Out For Ya? Here's How To Salvage It (27/04/2012)
- This Is My Friend Zeno, The Zit Zapping Device (27/04/2012)
- Poll: Which Skin Sins Are You Guilty Of? (27/04/2012)
- I Got Botox But It’s Not What You Think (27/04/2012)
- What's Your Favorite At-Work Bev? (That Diet Coke Is Doing Nothing For Your Skin) (27/04/2012)
- Poll: Have You Ever Had Your Moles Checked? (Be Honest) (27/04/2012)
- Let’s Talk About Hair in Embarrassing Places (27/04/2012)
- Laser Hair Removal Diaries: An Update After Visit #6 (27/04/2012)
- Poll: What Are Your Tanning Habits? (27/04/2012)
- 'Fess Up: Were You Smart About The Sun Last Weekend? (27/04/2012)